Mermaid Tails!




I've been wanting to get back into crafting and sewing and now that I have more time, I've got a list of projects to do. First up, mermaid tails for the girls! It's a cold, snowy winter here in Utah and what better way to stay warm then snuggling up and pretending you are a mermaid. 

I found quite a few different patterns and instructions on Pinterest and in the end, took their inspirations and just made mine as I went along. I'm not a seamstress nor one to give sewing advice but I'll just show you what I did and you can consult the Pinterest Gods for better instructions lol! 

First, I took the girls to Joann's Fabric and let them choose their fabric. They are about the same size so I got the same dimensions - 1 1/2 yards of body fabric and 1-2 yard of fin fabric. We used fleece for the fin and a really soft fleece like type for the body. 


I had the girls lay out on the body fabric lengthwise folded in half (see how professional I am) and measured from their mid back to toes extended, cutting off excess. Then I cut it on the sides, slightly tapering in. 


Sew this right sides together on the 2 long sides and then making a hem on the top.

Next, I freehanded the fin design with the fin fabric folded in half and cut it out. Sew this right sides together and turn inside out. I use a chopstick to get the tight corners pushed out.


After turning the fin right side out, I zig zagged around the edges and then did some decorative stitches on it. I sewed the top shut as I don't need them using these to hop around the house in. Well- that was the plan but they still have managed to find a way. :)


From here, I took the fin and placed it inside the body fabric (still right sides together) and sewed twice across the edge. After you sew this part, then just turn it right side out and your fin will pop through. 



It was an easy and fun project to jump back into my sewing and crafting days. And a perfect way for these girls to spend a snowy afternoon cuddled up on the couch watching a movie. 













Comments

Popular Posts